We are part of a rich historical tradition that is ongoing
The origin of Sacred Heart School is not in education systems or buildings, but in the deep desire of parents to have their children educated and formed in faith as well as academic subjects. Even before our original church school was built in Prince Street, the Sisters of Saint Joseph used to come from Mount Street, North Sydney, to Mosman, to prepare children for their sacraments. One of those sisters who walked to and from North Sydney, along the road and through the bush, was Mother Mary of the Cross, whom we know today as St Mary of the Cross MacKillop.
In 1900, the Sisters of Mercy built St Bridgets School, a school for girls from Kindergarten to Year 9, in Wudgong Street. 1922 saw the arrival of the Marist Brothers and the construction of a new school on the present site. The school began with 80 boys and was to grow into a school leaving certificate high school, with a great tradition in faith, study and sport.
Over the years there were developments and changes to our school. In 1983, the new school, then known as Marist Sacred Heart Mosman, began, with more than 300 pupils and a staff of 11 lay teachers, four Religious and Brother Crispin as first Principal. In 1991 the school reverted to being a parish primary school, adopting the parish name, Sacred Heart Primary School, in 1999.
In July 1998 a major parish building project began under the inspiration of the parish priest, Mgr Eugene Harley.The former Marist Brothers school was demolished, and a new Sacred Heart School was built on the site and blessed and opened on June 25 2000.
Along with every other primary school in Australia, Sacred Heart benefitted from the Australian Federal Governments Building the Education Revolution initiative in 2009 which saw large amounts of money granted to schools in a massive program to upgrade school infrastructures and stimulate the national economy in the wake of the Global Financial Crisis. As a result of the BER program the Sacred Heart has a beautiful new hall and new library, both of which were officially opened in October 2011. 2016 sees the further upgrade of the hall into a much more comfortably appointed facility, providing us with three air-conditioned and carpeted flexible, multi-purpose learning environments.